Tuesday, August 31, 2010

pants-less french food

In Midtown (Manhattan) we tried this cute little french restaurant, Les Sans Culottes, which means "without pants," referring to the common people of the French Revolution, according to their menu. (That sentence was rather run-on wasn't it? Well, I'm too tired to edit. Sorry.)

The meal started out with what I'd like to call the TOWER OF SAUSAGES! You think I'm exaggerating, but just look at the picture. There was a hard salami and a garlic one and one that was mild. I'm not a huge fan of sausage, but they were tasty. These were joined by the BASKET OF VEGETABLES! (Their words.) Once more, as you can see, this is not an exaggeration. I'm not sure how they expected me to eat whole red peppers and half cucumbers and entire stalks of celery, but there it was. I tried to do them proud. The pate was delicious, despite the fact that I had no idea what was in it. And the little tiny pickles (cornichons, right?) and the mustard sauce...I had to remind myself that I still had an entree coming.


I went classic, with thoughts of Julia Child, and ordered the Boeuf Bourguignon. It was very good and considering the non lady-like amount I ate, I was rather relieved we had a bit of a walk back to the hotel. 


Bon Appetit! (I know, I couldn't help myself.)

1 comment:

monica said...

a tower of sausage and a basket of veggies? sounds strange, but looks good!!!

makes me wonder, if people really eat like that in france???

monica