Thursday, February 10, 2011

a little food network love

This is the first spicy dish in the history of the world that my husband has ever said, "I don't care that it's spicy, it's so good." What? He always cares if it's spicy. What strange phenomenon has just taken place?

I'll tell you. It is the phenomenon of Peter Dunmire's Pork and Sweet Potato Empanadas. (recipe here)

I got the recipe from Guy Fieri's book, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, from his show of the same name. (Christmas present for my husband.) I made everything from scratch just like it told me to. And I even deep-fried them. The one thing we omitted was the salsa. The honey-chipotle glaze was so spicy that Mr. Husband felt the salsa was unnecessary. I was kinda tired so I agreed.

While the empanadas were good, the glaze was what pushed them to extraordinary super-stardom. You mix equal parts of honey and chipotle en adobo puree, that's it. This is a perfect example of less = more. It was so absolutely delicious. Spicy, smoky, sweet, salty...it had it all. In fact it was so good we made it again and swiped it over grilled steak a la Bobby Flay.

There was some leftover filling so I wrapped some tortillas around it and deep-fried them as well. Burritos delicioso!

No comments: