Wednesday, April 6, 2011

let them eat steak!

It first started when I watched Fat Head while my husband was traveling. Then I checked out the books Tom Naughton used as resources. Those books led to other books and after a dietary/nutrition education binge, my husband and I decided that we were going to limit our carbohydrate intake. (I highly recommend The Great Cholesterol Con to get you started.) All this to let you know that the meals I post might be lookin' a little different. Now, on to the food...

We went to Costco and bought some thick NY strip steaks. Thick. We grilled them and then added a pat of butter. I can't even tell you how delicious and tender a correctly-made, high-quality steak can be. It's just not possible to convey the absolute deliciousness.

Onward...

Of the remaining plate, half was filled with lemon-butter steamed haricots verts. (It's a hotty-totty name for a tender, thinner and longer than usual French green bean.) My go-to bean preparation is slightly steamed then pan-fried with garlic. I decided to try full steam then toss in melted butter and the juice from half a lemon. So good. So very good. My youngest boy said, "Mom, I usually think your green beans are gross but these are actually good." Hmm...thank you?


The last third of the plate was a botched attempt at garlic faux-tatoes. (On the website they are called "mock potatoes" but I think "faux-tatoes" is so much funner to say. Don't you?) Potatoes are starchy and very high in carbs so I made a pureed cauliflower version. Unfortunately I put in almost 6x the normal amount of garlic. This normally wouldn't be a problem since I usually overdose on garlic. (I love it!) In this instance, I forgot that the garlic would be raw. That's a big oops! They were so spicy that no one could eat them. I managed but only by eating each bite with an accompanying forkful of steak.

Nonetheless, this meal was so satisfying and contrary to popular belief, very healthy! Hooray!

No comments: