Tuesday, July 27, 2010

compilation pt 3 (and hopefully the last, i think i'm caught up now)

This is my husband's favorite spaghetti sauce. (Thank you, Berta.) It makes a lot. I mean you use one of those HUGE #10 cans that hold like a gallon or so. It's good and we had breadsticks and salad.


This meal was just a jar of spaghetti and a pound of cooked elbows baked with mozzarella sprinkled on top. (Ironically I took some of the leftover sauce from the night before and filled an old spaghetti sauce jar so I would have the right amount for this dish.) And salad. Don't forget the salad.


Stromboli! Flavor tonight: Cheeseburger. After making a batch of my pizza dough I rolled it out as square-ish as possible and sprinkled browned ground beef and cheddar cheese about. I rolled it up jelly-roll style and after a half hour stint in the oven...voila! Everyone is usually pretty happy with this one. Steamed broccoli gave us our green. (And brown. Apparently sherry vinegar causes broccoli to turn brown. One of those "learn something new..." items.)


The dessert bowl isn't so pretty because I forgot about taking a picture entirely and had already begun the consumption process. I paired a Grandma Virginia's Applesauce Cake with the BlueBell Triple Caramel Ice Cream my hubby brought home. It was mmmmmm. (The cake recipe came from this cool book I checked out from the library: The Food Journal of Lewis and Clark. The author read the diaries of the intrepid explorers and did a ton of research on the cooking of the period. I've tried a few things from it already and they've been very good.)


Lastly, we've got super-uper frugal night. I took some tostada shells and slapped on some refried beans and rice. My parents left a huge Sam's Club package of American Cheese when they visited last and I cooked up some cheese sauce with the vile stuff. I will admit that the stuff sorta hitch hikes onto the tasty train when stirred into a basic white sauce. Topped off with taco sauce and sour cream? That was some tasty dinner. (Dinner is such a stretch here. I mean this is more along the line of Super Bowl snacks, doncha think?)

No comments: