Thursday, July 29, 2010

really good soup and yummy bread

JULY
In July
I'll take a peep
into the cool
and fishy deep
where chicken soup
is selling cheap.
Selling once
selling twice
selling chicken soup
with rice.

Tonight's dinner was courtesy of Maurice Sendak's glorious book Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months. My five-year old loves that book and he often asks, "What are we having for dinner? Chicken Soup with Rice?" Tonight I had the extreme joy to answer, "Why yes we are!" He was so excited.

My oldest, after tasting, said, "It's not that good."
I replied, "You don't like it?"
He says, "No, I think it's very good, I just don't think it's good enough that the wind would want to blow down the door to get some." (In March the wind "...laps it up and roars for more.")

It was really good though. I bought chicken thighs (with skin and bones, which is so out of style these days) and made my own broth first. I used the recipe in ATK's Family Cookbook and it only took about an hour and a half. Then I turned the page, made the chicken noodle soup sans noodles and threw in 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice.

Man, they are so right when they say homemade broth is better. There really is no comparison. None.

Oh yeah, we had bread and butter, too.

Enjoy this song.

1 comment:

nichol said...

I love chicken soup with rice! both the soup and the book :) With homemade bread, really is there anything better in the whole world?