Thursday, February 18, 2010

chicken pot pie + monkey bread

The kids were playing restaurant this afternoon. Their kitchen was under our dining room table. I'm not quite sure why they didn't just pretend in our real kitchen, but hey, they're kids, right? They brought me the menu and one of the entree choices was chicken pot pie. I ordered their version and then asked if I could make a real one for dinner; it sounded so good. I immediately received a "Yes!" followed by a "Wait a minute! What vegetables are you going to put in it?" I said that I would only put in broccoli. Well, broccoli and an onion because I put onion in everything. And carrot, carrot would be good as would potato. The previous "Yes!" became a resounding, "No!"

I could see this was going to be an uphill battle and I was already tired. They wheedled me down to "No veggies, not even onion." Can you believe it? It barely filled the 9x13 halfway, but they ate every single drop. It was tasty, but visually rather bland. This was definitely one of those "I'm outnumbered and they know it" times.

For dessert, my youngest son wanted to make Monkey Bread "all by himself." He saw the recipe in the Paula Deen kids' cookbook my redhead checked out from the library and wanted to make it. She calls for canned biscuits (pshaw to that) so I subbed in my pizza dough (of course). It was simple and the kids were thrilled. In the end my redhead wanted her name added to the "people who helped make this bread possible" list, but the little guy wouldn't have any of it. It was his. So for the record, for dessert tonight we had Tank's Monkey Bread.

No comments: