Friday, February 5, 2010

stuffed sweet potatoes + rice + chutney

I'm back in the mood for Indian. The smells when you cook up those exotic spices are awesome.

Tonight, I made these unspeakably delicious Savory Indian Sweet Potatoes. Think twice-baked potatoes with an Indian flair. The sweet potatoes were baked, gutted and the innards added to cinnamon and coriander-spiced onions, peas, red pepper and cream cheese. And cream cheese, we all know, makes everything better. No exception with this recipe.

The rice was aptly named Golden Rice in Low-Fat Moosewood. Turmeric, carrots and a few other spices were added to brown basmati and mmmmmmm, is how I can describe it.

I've never been a big chutney person simply because it's so foreign to me and no one has ever "taught" me how to use it. Moosewood recommended saucing the potatoes with yogurt and their Mango Chutney. I decided to give it a try. Easy recipe: add all ingredients and simmer for 45 minutes. Unfortunately, when dinner time came I realized I had used all the yogurt for a biscuit recipe and we had to use sour cream. Fortunately it was a rather delicious substitution.

No comments: