Wednesday, February 17, 2010

pizza

I completely forgot to take a picture tonight. How could I be doing something for almost six months and then forget? As far as nights to misplace my brain, this one wasn't too bad. I mean it's pizza. Something I've done eight times on this blog already. If you really want a picture you could click on the pizza link to the right over there. Tonight we had one pineapple, one cheese, and one pepperoni. Not much imagination, I confess.

I thought that since I use it ALL THE TIME, I would post my pizza dough recipe for you. I have a pizza tutorial but it's two years old now and I should really update it. Not tonight though. Tonight I'll just give you the skinny on the dough. I use this dough for breadsticks, rolls, pizza (obviously), kolaches, bread loaves, focaccia, pita, and anything else bread-y that pops in my mind. I originally got it from here but that recipe has a few flaws that I've fixed. Here's my rendition:

 Mix together and let stand while you get the other stuff together:
  • 1 c water (if you're using whole wheat flour, you'll need 1 1/4 c water and it'll take a little longer to rise)
  • 2 1/4 tsp yeast (or one packet)
In the bowl of your mixer combine:
  • 3 c flour
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 Tb olive oil
Pour in the water/yeast mixture and with your kneading hook on turn the mixer on low. ("Stir" for Kitchenaids.) After 7-10 minutes, you'll know your dough is done if it's all together in a ball and smooth in appearance. If it's sticking to the bottom, add a couple tablespoons of flour. It's best to be too sticky rather than too dry, though. Oil your hands pretty good and then take the dough out. Oil the bowl and drop the dough in, turning once to coat both sides in oil. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and let it rise in a nice cozy spot until double. (I usually pick a sunny window, on the counter near where I'm cooking on the stove or even on the floor where the exhaust of my fridge blows out.) Roll it out, add toppings and bake in a 500 degree oven for 8 minutes or until the cheese is melted and has little brown spots in various places all over the crust.

This recipe makes one large thick crust pizza. I usually double this recipe and make three 12 inchers.

No comments: