Friday, June 25, 2010

enchiladas

Tonight marked a turning point in our family. We demolished an entire 11x15 pan of enchiladas. Either I have to make a 9x13 and the 11x15 from now on or I need to add salad, chips and mexican rice, because what we did would have been more accurately portrayed by a zombie attacking a fresh brain. But there's a definite reason. These suckers are so dang tasty.

Confession: I adore soggy flour tortillas. I'm sure that ranks right up there with overcooked pasta in Chef Law Atrocities. Sorry, it's the way things are. One of my favorite things is to eat the guts out of a burrito and then eat the soggy leftover tortilla by itself with extra hot sauce. Mmmmm, so good. Because of this I make our enchiladas with flour tortillas. I make one batch of my de-hotified enchilada sauce (for the hubby) and pour it over flour tortillas rolled around crumbled queso fresco. That is it my friends. I let it incubate for 15-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven and we are ready to stuff ourselves with delicious enchilada heaven. And we do.

The sauce recipe is here and it is enough for one 11x15 pan, and my tweaks are as follows:
  1. I use regular flour
  2. Drop chili powder to 2 Tb
  3. Increase tomato sauce to a 16 oz can
  4. I don't add any extra salt. The onion salt is enough.

No comments: