Saturday, June 19, 2010

tostadas

You know what's almost magical? Mexican food. I mean you take a fresh-mex place like Senor Sam's or Chipotle and you can make about four thousand different dishes with the exact same ingredients. I tried to use that magic tonight with tostadas.

Instead of taco shells and tortillas I used tostada shells. (You know, the small corn tortillas that have been fried and look like they'd make good bite-size chips for Abe Lincoln's Memorial statue.)

It worked. The fam was happy and I have another variation on tacos so I can keep the repetition craziness away.

It's also mango season. There's this guy on the side of the road who has a bunch of the Ataulfo mangoes for sale. My hubby went and negotiated and came home with 44 mangoes for the cool price of $16. Nice! We decided to make mango sorbet. Hooboy! That stuff came out super rich and thick. Kinda reminded me of baby food, but it was so mango-y I didn't mind. (Ataulfos are my favorite mango.)

No comments: