Tuesday, June 8, 2010

chef salad and then some

There is no going wrong with "choose your own adventure" dinner. It's win/win all around. The kids eat what they like out of all the (mostly) healthy options available. My daughter also made a rather good honey dijon vinaigrette from ATK's Family Cookbook.

Choices tonight:
  • romaine/green leaf blend (actually, not a choice, a requirement)
  • shredded carrot
  • shredded purple cabbage
  • lightly steamed asparagus
  • sliced olives
  • pickled beets
  • grilled chicken breast
  • hard-boiled egg
  • sunflower seeds
  • grated cheddar cheese
I love salad night. But, it wasn't all good eating. Well, what I mean is that it wasn't all healthy. You see, I was going to make pitas and hummus for dinner originally but after I got my pita dough going I realized that I was out of garbanzos. I decided to turn the dough into doughnuts! Yep, after a good, healthy with not-too-much-dressing salad we cranked out a double bread batch worth of those deep-fried confections.

Apparently tonight was option night because you had your choice of powdered or peanut butter glazed. The awesome part (out of all the awesomeness that we partook had partaken) was that I didn't have to make breakfast the next day. We had more than enough for the morning. Once again, winners all around. Well, that is except for our arteries. Poor fellas.

No comments: