Wednesday, October 21, 2009

sandwiches + coleslaw

Today I planned ahead. Not enough to go to the store when I was out at our homeschool Play On Wednesdays, but enough that when we got home I got a batch of my pizza dough going. I made a double batch and after the first rise, split it into 12 pieces that I flattened into vaguely-recognizable bun shapes. I made some cabbage, celery, and raisin coleslaw from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Vegetarian Family Cookbook, during the second rise (really just those veggies, some mayo, lemon juice and a sprinkle of sugar), and got the sandwich fixins out while they baked. (Turkey, ham, cheddar, provolone, pepper jack, pickles, tomatoes but sadly no lettuce or sprouts.) Simple, yet good. If the sands were made on store bought bread it would have been just fine, but on fresh-from-the-oven sandwich buns....kickin' yumyum!

No comments: