Saturday, October 10, 2009

sloppy joes + crudites

(I had to use the word crudites. I'm sure that if you have crudites then you must have some worthy entree like filet mignon or poached salmon with lemon sauce. Accompanying a dish like sloppy joes they can only be called celery and carrot sticks, but I want to use the word crudite, gosh darn it! So deal with it!)

The joint birthday party was today. It went well. As is usually the case, we ate breakfast, had the party with its accompanying cake, ice cream and candy, skipping lunch and were alternating between bouts of exhaustion and jittery sugar hyperactivity come dinner time. I haven't gone grocery shopping yet so I went to my pantry and stared. "Come on, food. Tell me what I can make tonight. What can I make?" My eyes fell on the tub of TVP and I could have swore that it lit up a bit and glowed. Sloppy joes! Well, sort of. I use the recipe from my trusty ATK Family cookbook and sub in the TVP. It's decent. Sure, ground beef sloppy joes are better, but when you don't got no ground beef...it'll do.

I didn't have any buns either so with my pizza dough recipe I made some. (I was a good girl and used 1/2 whole wheat flour.) The daughter made some ranch (awesome recipe here, we skip the dill in it, hubby no-likey the dill) and I chopped red pepper, carrots and celery. Everyone ate it and hopefully it will make up for the junk we ate last night. Hopefully.

No comments: