Friday, October 30, 2009

soba noodles + tamago

Dinner tonight was delicious. Absolutely delicious. The downside was that I decided to be nice to my neighbors and share. I could have totally gluttoned out on this but I was limited to only one large helping.

The parents and their Daniel Fast are gone so I could cook whatever. (That sounded harsh, but I just meant it as informative. I'm really sad they had to leave so soon.) They left some corn on the cob that needed to get eaten and I have a ton of cabbage (it's been super cheap) in the fridge. I pulled out the always successful The Vegetarian Family Cookbook and found Asian Noodles with Stir-Fried Corn and Cabbage. Let me tell you. It was a delight. A simple meal of corn, cabbage and soba noodles seasoned with just soy sauce, sesame oil and oyster sauce (my addition).

The side dish was the ever-popular-in-our-house Tamago omelet. (recipe here) It's a slightly-sweet Japanese omelet that most Americans see on a mound of rice and a belt of nori with their sushi plate. We just had the tamago on the side.

This meal was so tasty I could have doubled it and the whole thing would have been devoured. Our stomachs would have been distended and painful for a few hours, but I would have made that trade. Since that was not the case, I decided to make a dessert to top us off.

The middle daughter checked out Brownies and Blondies from the library and comparing recipes with my pantry I found that I could make Spicy Oatmeal-Coconut Blondies. They could be described as extra-special oatmeal-raisin bar cookies. And you could describe me as quite content.

No comments: