Thursday, December 10, 2009

beans + cornbread

I have a recipe for Cuban Black Beans that I gleaned off the internet a few years ago. (I have no idea where, sorry.) It is one of my go-to pantry recipes. I usually have all the ingredients no matter how long it's been since I went grocery shopping.

Tonight I made a double batch but used 1/2 black beans and 1/2 kidney beans, rather than all black. It was a nice change. Topped it off with some sour cream, cheddar and jalapenos. Delicious! I made a batch of my favorite cornbread and voila! Dinner.

Here's the recipe. It's super simple.

1lb black beans (soaked overnight)
1/4 c olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 can tomato paste
1 (4oz) jar pimentos (I usually leave this out because I rarely keep them on hand.)
1 Tb balsamic vinegar
3 tsp salt
1 tsp white sugar
5 c water
1 tsp pepper

Saute the onion, pepper and garlic in the oil. (Sometimes I skip that step if I'm lazy.) Add everything else, cover and let simmer for 2 hrs.

No comments: