Saturday, December 19, 2009

pineapple chicken bake + brown rice pilaf + salad

This was an unintentional Indian-esque dinner. The recipe was blandly named "Pineapple Chicken Bake." With that name would you expect it to be chicken baked in very strong curry-flavored pineapple sauce? I didn't. It was good, but the husband is not the biggest fan of curry. Foreseeing his slight unhappiness at the prominent flavor I halved the curry powder called for. It was the right move because he ended up really liking it.

I paired it with a millet pilaf, subbing brown rice for the millet. (I forgot to buy some.) Of course the kids hated it, what with its fruit and nuts and veggies invasion. But they've got to learn there are times when you are faced with food you think you don't like. (That and I'm a selfish cook: If I'm making it, it's going to be something I'm in the mood for.)

I threw in a salad (Tonight's was topped with my favorite, Annie's Naturals Goddess Dressing.) and considered it a meal.

The Pineapple Chicken Bake came from America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. Millet Pilaf materialized off the pages of Moosewood's Low-Fat Favorites.

No comments: