Monday, December 7, 2009

caribbean stew + brown rice + jerk chicken

Tonight we tasted the flavors of Jamaica. (Sort of. I mean, I've never been there so there's no way for me to tell you how "Jamaica" this was except that the Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites author assured me it was.)

First up: Caribbean Stew. Basically a vegetarian stew of sweet potato, yellow squash, and kale. I screwed it up. I dumped in the can of diced tomatoes only to realize (literally one second later) that I had grabbed a can seasoned with garlic and oregano. While the final result was still tasty, I'm sure Italian tomatoes kinda push this stew off the Tower of Authenticity. Oh well.

I also made Jerk Chicken from the cookbook. Technically it was supposed to be Jerk Tofu, but I didn't have any and really wanted a meat in the meal. The recipe called for three chiles. I added 1/2 of one and the oldest daughter ended up with all the other kids' chicken. ("It's too spicy, Mom!") So that leaves us with a total of three for six with the chicken. I'll take those numbers.

The meal was not a hit with the kids, but as usual, I don't really care too much. I thought it was good. (More importantly, the husband liked it.) And boy did the house smell delicious with the aromas from the stew on the stove and the spices from the chicken in the oven. Perfect for a cold, rainy winter day.

No comments: