Saturday, December 12, 2009

joe's crab shack

Remember me saying I would give Joe's Crab Shack another shot? Tonight, apparently, was the night to do so. We had to drop our daughter off at a cookie decorating party at 6pm. It was sufficiently far enough away that we'd have to eat dinner a little before five. I'm sorry. That's just not going to happen in our house. So we decided to go out to eat after ditching the daughter.

We moved to Texas about a year ago and our house is now in a neighborhood that makes going out to eat much more difficult than eating at home. Because of this, I'm getting to be quite a food snob. The hubby and I love good food. We love making and eating good food. And lately, every time I eat out I'm disappointed. The food isn't terrible it's just not great and amazing. We are also sufficiently new that we haven't found all the good independently-owned restaurants to try. Sorry to get on my little whine-y train here, I'm just so sad. Chain restaurants just serve boring food, in general.

I had the Fisherman's Platter or Plate or something at Joe's tonight. It consisted of calimari, shrimp, Great Balls of Fire (cream cheese, crab, shrimp and jalapeno balls breaded and deep-fried) and a piece of some fish, I can't remember what. (That's exactly what I'm talking about. Completely unremarkable.) Besides the Great Balls, there was nothing to differentiate this food from any other fish place. *heavy sigh*

Sorry this is such a downer. I'm just a little sad. We used to live in a college town that was brimming with independently-owned restaurants serving ethnically diverse food. I just miss it I guess. And I hate spending money on food that doesn't make me close my eyes so I can better focus on the flavor.

Tonight's meal descriptor: mediocrity.

No comments: