Tuesday, December 8, 2009

vegetable phylo roll extravaganza + salad

I'm thinking the authors of Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites stuck the name Vegetable Phyllo Roll Extravaganza on this recipe thinking they would go back and change it later. The problem is that that they didn't. They plum forgot. So now I'm stuck having to write it on my blog post. I mean, seriously. Extravaganza?

Don't get me wrong. The breadcrumb, parmesan and garlic layered phyllo wrapped around sauteed veggies (yellow squash, carrots, red pepper, and mushrooms) was delicious. So much so that I ate three of my kids' leftovers (Mom! There are mushrooms in this!) including my own servings. But extravaganza? It makes it sound like some over-the-top sales event. Come one, come all, to the vegtetable phyllo roll extravaganza you've been waiting for!

Naming blunders notwithstanding this meal was superb. The only mistake being that I didn't make two rolls. There was just enough that I was comfortably full, but it tasted so good I wanted to be painfully full. My tummy might have had enough but my mouth wanted more of that crunch of flaky crust and that satisfying mmmmm of savory filling. I was far from satiated.

Next time I make the Extravaganza I will definitely double it and, to be nice to my kiddos, I'll omit the mushrooms from one roll. I could add chicken to it* but we'll see. It was really good as a vegetarian dish.

*My husband's usual response to vegetarian food is as follows:
Hub: This is really good. You know what would make it even better?
Me: No, honey, what?
Hub: Some meat!

No comments: