Friday, December 4, 2009

spaghetti + meatballs + corn + bread

Tonight is a first. I made meatballs. Never, in my recollection or in my husband's, has this occurred.

Other than that this meal was unremarkable and rather atypical. I used not only store-bought sauce, but a baguette as well. Even the parmesan was pre-shredded. Why this aberration? Our grocery store, HEB, has these Meal Deals where you buy one item and get four or five free things with it. Usually this is something I would never use like a pre-made lasagna or two tubs of pre-seasoned, shredded barbecue beef, but today they had a special in which you buy two pounds of ground beef and get a baguette, a pound of pasta, a bag of salad, a bag of shredded fancy cheese (whatever that means), and a jar of spaghetti sauce for free. Except for the bag of salad (I hate the smell of pre-bagged lettuce) I would actually use all that stuff. I normally make my own pasta sauce but I like to keep a jar on hand "just in case."

All this to say that I found myself needing to put dinner on the table, incorporate a fresh baguette and get it done rather quickly since it was already 7pm. The meatballs came from my ATK's Family Cookbook and were a tasty addition to an otherwise unimaginative meal.

That's all. No gems from the sky tonight. And yes, that meal desperately needed something green it it.

No comments: