Saturday, January 16, 2010

back from vacation

My husband had to work in Oklahoma City this last week. We tagged along. I had one 5-minute meeting with a computer during that entire time, thus the reason for my lack of updating.

The dinners of my week can be summed up in one word: restaurants.

Of note:
  1. Pops - A roadside stop on the Old Route 66. Their claim to fame is a rolling inventory of over 500 types of soda pops at any given time. With our burgers we tried Dang! That's Good Butterscotch Root Beer (amazing!), Taylor's Tonics Chai Cola (not so amazing), Empire Bottling Works Spruce Beer (just imagine drinking a sweetened Christmas tree), Welch's Grape Soda (meh), Frostie Blue Cream (it was blue and creamy), Stewart's Cherries and Cream (had it before) and Cool Mountain Blue Raspberry (it was blue and berry-y). We tried to get the kids to try things that we couldn't get at home, but some just couldn't be persuaded. We also took home a bunch to try later. (a couple different brands of cream soda, a mint julep, a honey-blood orange, molasses root beer, sarsparilla and some others I'm too lazy to go look in the fridge to find out) Fun place!
  2. The Wedge - Excellent, expensive (we didn't know this before we went) pizza place in Bricktown in Oklahoma City. I had a marinated mozzarella salad with pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes and arugula. Delicious. My pizza had artichoke hearts, pine nuts (had a thing with pine nuts that night, apparently), cremini mushrooms, red peppers. It was so good. I highly recommend this place. They gave the kids each a plate with a hunk of dough to play with while we waited for the food. This was a great idea and they had a ton of fun. If you go, I'd got without the kiddos if you can. It would be a great date night, sort of place if you're ever in OKC.
  3. All the other places didn't hit me like these two so I'll spare you... OH! except Rusty's Frozen Custard in Moore (suburb in southern OKC). Oh my goodness! So we asked. And the difference between frozen custard and ice cream is the addition of eggs. Believe me when I tell you it makes a huge difference! Rusty's was amazing. Go if you can. I got the vanilla (there's only the three neopolitan choices) with pecans and coconut mixed in. Mmmmm. So fattening and soooo delicious.
Tonight we got home to a pretty empty kitchen. Breakfast burritos was all I could muster. I'll save you the boring pictures. Tomorrow is a new culinary adventure waiting...

No comments: