Tuesday, January 19, 2010

callaloo + cornbread

Callaloo is apparently one of those dishes that is named for its ingredient. Both names though, the dish and the ingredient, completely escaped my knowledge during the entirety of my 33-year existence thus far. Enter my Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites and the void is now filled. Some consider this stew the national dish of Trinidad and Tobago, I consider it delicious!

From what I could gather it commonly contains crab, but this was from Moosewood so...veg only. Typically, callaloo leaves are used (also called dasheen). Unfortunately my local HEB doesn't carry them. I'm sure I could have found them somewhere in Houston, we are on the Gulf of Mexico which is next-door neighbors to the Caribbean, but I decided to use the kale substitute. (spinach is commonly used)

I'm not sure how authentic it is, but I'll tell you it's freakin' awesome! Kale, sweet potato, tomato, coconut milk, and lime juice combine into heavenly glory. It's supposed to have okra as well, but I forgot to get it. Maybe next time. We ate it with cornbread (best recipe here) and tummies were smiling.

Well, until they were stuffed so full they hurt...

1 comment:

nichol said...

this sounds amazing! I love the vibrant happy color too :)