Friday, January 22, 2010

cabbage rolls + beets

This was a very disappointing meal. Well, for me at least. Both recipes came from my Low-Fat Moosewood.

The cabbage roll filling was tofu and various veggies. By itself it was pretty good. But it wasn't strong enough to hold its flavor and carry the cabbage as well. Blandy bland bland.

I've tried beets about half a dozen times. These ones were roasted in a foil packet with olive oil, salt pepper and onion. I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like fresh beets. Pickled beets, yes. Fresh beets, blech. But I won't give up. I'm not going to stop preparing them for three reasons.
  1. My husband loves beets. LOVES beets.
  2. They are so completely beautiful.
  3. I am a very hopeful person.
It breaks my heart to say I don't like such a gorgeous veggie, but there it is. But I still believe I can find a preparation for fresh beets that will enable me to write the words "beets" and "delicious" in the same sentence. We'll see.

2 comments:

Mej said...

juiced.

monica said...

yummy yummy. i love cabbage rolls and beets. did you ever go to novak's in albany? they had great hungarian cabbage rolls.

i love reading your posts. you have the most eclectic recipes, and inspire me to do more in the kitchen.