Wednesday, January 27, 2010

chicken nuggets + veggie sticks

We experimented tonight. We = my hubby and I. He took two whole chickens and cut them up. Later on he'll make sausage with the dark meat. And we roasted the carcass with olive oil for some good broth tomorrow. But tonight, we sent the breasts through the meat grinder and the sausage stuffer. As it emerged from the stuffer, we sliced off inch-long sections.

These little ground chicken chunks were then dipped in egg followed by bread crumbs. We tried deep-frying them until they were cooked through but they lost too much water in the process and became dry. So I fried them for twenty seconds and finished them in a 350 degree oven for ten minutes. This was perfect. One of the responses was, "These are better than Chick-fil-A!" I have to agree.

Paired with carrot, celery and red pepper strips, I didn't feel too guilty feeding this to my lot. And with the honey-mustard dressing my hubby mixed up, it was some pretty good stuff. I wouldn't say it was "healthy" but in the land of chicken nuggets, it was definitely sitting in the "healthier" section.

No comments: