Monday, January 18, 2010

salmon + sweet potatoes + brown rice

Between my parents' house and OKC we watched a lot of Food Network. A LOT. One of my most favorite shows is Good Eats with Alton Brown. It is my perfect show: goofy, informative, inspirational, I love it. I mean, any show that makes me pull out my notebook and take notes gets super-extra bonus points.

One of the shows we watched featured salmon and my husband, who hates salmon, was persuaded by Alton's informative, yet tasty instruction. I jumped full on this and bought a $12 side of sockeye today. This is a big deal for me. I'm a miserable newbie when it comes to fish. Nevertheless I followed Alton's instructions and the broiled brown-sugar and lemon glazed little fishy was amazing!

I added brown rice (love this stuff!) and roasted sweet potatoes. It was so yummy and I was not too unhappy when the kids turned up their noses. (More for me!) But I can't blame them, they haven't had much exposure to the ocean's bounty. (Except for shrimp. They can't get enough of those little critters.)

Dinner was a delight and I can tell you it's good to be back in my kitchen. Real good.

1 comment:

Kallie said...

Alton Brown is one of my favorites! Kallie