Friday, November 20, 2009

golden split pea soup + brownies

I finally made the recipe I've been meaning to for the last three days: Golden Split Pea Soup from my Low-Fat Moosewood. We won't be trying that one again.

It sounded so enticing. Golden split peas, sweet potato, apples and curry-type spices. And when it's done cooking, you blend it smooth. I love blended soups! So much potential and yet fell so flat. When I gave it the final taste test it was so much worse than bland. The apples made it too sweet and I couldn't cut it. Not even by adding extra soy sauce and lime juice. It was still so mediocre I added half a brick of cream cheese. Adding cream cheese to anything is an improvement as was so in this case. But I'm sorry to say that it just made it palatable. Nothing more. The littlest dude loved it and it was good enough to have seconds, but I won't be making it again.

Luckily, I had made some brownies. Someone gave me a bag of brownie mix and even though it was a mix and even though it had hydro, I made them.

I guess everyday can't be a raving success or else we wouldn't appreciate the ones that are. (Forgive me, family, for serving you death oil!)

No comments: