Monday, November 16, 2009

vegetarian feijoada

It's Brazilian and it's pronounced fay-shwah-duh. I knew you would want to know that right off the bat. Typically it's not vegetarian, but it's from Moosewood, so...

Feijoada is Brazil's national dish via the Portuguese. Traditionally it is a pork, beef and black bean stew. Ours was just the black beans. We also had steamed collards, something called Brazilian rice (just a spanish-type rice), orange segments and this tasty chili-lemon salsa stuff. The whole thing came from my cookbook.

The bean-hater child hated it. Everyone else ate their required amounts without complaint. I had seconds. (or was that thirds?) What was extra-tasty was the soup we made out of it the next day. Blended it all together (even the oranges) with a can of V8 and topped with the salsa, some cheddar and sour cream. Mmmmm...

Next time I think I'll try it with the meat. But I think I'm adding this to my repetoire. It was good and soooo good for you.

No comments: