Wednesday, November 4, 2009

onion soup + salad + bread

I'm trying to cook lower fat. In doing so, I headed to the library for some reference materials. I found the Good Morning America Cut the Calories Cookbook. Now I'm usually not someone to go for gimmicky stuff like this but our local library is rather small and I wanted to go home with something rather than have to wait for an interlibrary loan hold to find itself to my hands. Tonight I tried the Carmelized Onion Soup sent in by a chick from Bakersfield, California. Part of the recipe was a lemon-corn chutney which I would have tried had I all the ingredients. It also called for some French bread. I made one batch of my pizza dough with 1/2 whole wheat flour and formed it into a french bread shape, complete with slashes cut into the top.

The recipe calls for the soup to be brought to a boil and simmer. This proved visually disastrous since my milk separated. Fortunately it still tasted good. I threw a tossed salad together and topping my soup with a butter and parmesan-topped broiled slice of bread, called it a meal. Pretty good even if it was an ugly sight to behold.

No comments: