Saturday, November 21, 2009

ridiculousness

Tonight is a night I DO NOT want to admit what we ate. This is a humbling post. A post that brings truth to my blog title.

I need to go to the store so very badly. I have exactly eleven cans of food in my pantry: three evaporated skim milk, two tomato pastes, four pumpkin purees, one coconut milk, and one sweet corn. And while I have many pounds of dried beans and rice, the dinner hour came upon me without any forethought on my part. I blame the kids. They wanted me to watch Beverly Hills Chihuahua with them and I decided to be a "nice" mom and agreed.

The husband was out. My first offering to the children: top ramen. I had three packages for five kids (we have a guest). They ate it all and were still hungry. Next, I tried cheddar slices (enough for two per kid), peanut butter and apples. I also threw pickles into the mix for good measure. They ate it all and were still hungry when the husband returned. We got Sonic (brown bag special for us adults and one jr. breakfast burrito each for the kidlings) and I think they could still have eaten more, but it was bed time.

Can you believe it? Ramen, cheese, pickles, apples, peanut butter and a Sonic sausage breakfast burrito.

Now you know. Do you still want to read this blog?!

2 comments:

Kallie said...

I am loving your blog and I think this is my favorite post. Your dinners look amazing and sound delish. I am glad to know that you don't always have something splendid. Makes me feel better about the days we mix together this and that and call it dinner! Kallie

Tricia said...

Thanks Kallie! One of the most encouraging things ever told to me was by one of my most looked-up-to mentor-type moms. She told me when her kids were little and it was that horrible time in the afternoon she would sometimes lay on her bed in her darkened room and cry until her husband came home. It made me feel so much better that she went through the same things I did. So I think I understand what you mean. Blogs and even facebook for that matter show such a rosy picture of everyone's life. It's hard to remember that people reveal only selected info and usually only the best. (unless the worst happens to be funny) I really appreciate your comment.