Friday, April 30, 2010

beans + breadsticks

I remembered to soak the beans last night. Yay! When I have a pot of soaking beans on the stove it's so easy for me to remember to start dinner at a decent time. Not that I did it, but I did remember. Execution has always been my weak suit, while I've always been unusually gifted in Procrastination.

Tonight we had what Laurel's Kitchen calls Beans Bourguignon. I know a dish exists called Beef Bourguignon, ( I am somewhat steeped in Julia Child right now if you remember) but I've never had it. Thus I have no idea if Beans Bourguignon shares the title based on flavor or if Laurel just thought it was fun to say. Either way, the beans were delicious. The recipe, if you could call it that, was one of those short little paragraphs explaining what is possible with these certain ingredients but doesn't give you any amounts or anything. I kinda sorta made it up. Because of this, I understand what they mean when they say the movie was inspired by the book. It means you read their words, causing a little light to go on in your head and so you did your very own thing that has almost nothing to do with the original except maybe the main characters' names.

I took 1/2 pound of lima beans and 1/2 pound of kidney beans and  simmered the kadookie out of those babies. When it was time to think about eating I made a little butter/flour/bean broth gravy and returned it to the bean pot with an onion, a couple potatoes and a couple carrots. Throw in a pinch of basil, sage and garlic powder along with some salt and we were golden. I made some breadsticks to sop of the deliciousness and it was goo-oo-ood. This might have been my most successful pot of beans thus far. They were that tasty. My bean-hater child whined and all of them made me puree their servings, but it was all eaten. And in the end, that's all I care about.

Beans Bourguignon recipe

No comments: