Sunday, April 4, 2010

birthday chowder + strawberry shortcake

My little baby turned one today and it was also Easter. Of course the little darlin' couldn't tell us what she wanted for her birthday dinner so I had to translate all her little garbles and points and zerberts. It was difficult but I finally understood. She wanted Grandma Smith's clam chowder, green salad and honey wheat bread. Coincidentally she picked exactly what I was in the mood for. Amazing.

I need to explain one thing. Grandma Smith's clam chowder is not for the faint of heart. This sucker's base is formed from butter, half & half, and clam juice. We had quite a few people eating so I had to triple the recipe. This meant that an entire pound of butter and three quarts of half &half were used in the making of this gastronomic delight. Insane. Grandma Smith, up in heaven, thank you. Thank you for this legacy.

Dessert: We got to go strawberry picking on Friday. I'm used to Oregon's "pick-your-own-because-it's-cheaper-than-the-store" berries. Apparently that's not how they roll here in Texas. Our berries were more expensive than the grocery store and we had to get them ourselves. I might be complaining but I still took my kids, roamed the fields and shelled out the money. I then followed America's Test Kitchen's instructions and made strawberry shortcake. They make biscuits out of ...drum roll...butter and half & half! Crazy, no? They were absolutely delicious and if it didn't cost me 1/6th of my weekly grocery budget I might be tempted to go get some more berries and do this again. Might be.

All in all, my baby loved it and we were all satiated well beyond comfortability.

No comments: