Saturday, April 10, 2010

miso soup and then some

"Mom, that's not soup, there's too much stuff in it."

This has to be one of my favorite meals. I've recently realized how much I enjoy meals that have an assortment of garnishes that can be piled on. Tonight our soup topping choices were browned tofu, bean sprouts, lightly steamed broccoli, carrot and cabbage, rice, hard-boiled egg and green onions. I had it all, of course, and it was perfect. Light yet filling. (Well, filling when you had two full bowls worth.)

I used the Kombu Dashi (broth) recipe from Low-Fat Moosewood and it was sub-par. I usually use their Shiitake Dashi but I didn't realize I was out of those delicious dried fungi. After a bit of messing, I got it to taste decent enough.

Two kids were ecstatic that we were having miso soup and two were, ummm, well let's say 'less enthusiastic'.

No comments: