Saturday, April 24, 2010

tofu + broccoli + pasta

I'm trying something new today. I've found how to embed files in my blog so I'm going to add the recipes at the end. I've never been a huge fan of reading a blog post and having to scroll down three pages of instructions to make sure there is nothing more at the end of the post. On the other hand, I love to get recipes from others' blogs.  I think this will be a happy medium. We'll see.

I was really pleased with dinner tonight. For one, it was rather pretty color- and texture-wise. Most importantly, though, it tasted rather good. Two simple sides: steamed broccoli drizzled with a little melted butter and seasoned simply with salt and pepper and buttered farfalle with garlic and parsley. For the protein I tried the Italian Marinated Tofu from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Moskowitz. It wasn't mind-staggeringly delicious (for one, I overcooked it a bit) but it was satisfying and we ate the whole pound, no whining.

I added water and cornstarch to the tofu marinade (Isa's suggestion) and turned it into a sauce. It was okay but one of the flavors wasn't quite right and I couldn't figure out what it was. I added additional water to dilute it a touch more and then some sugar wondering if that was it, but it wasn't. I hate it when I can't at least figure out what the problem is.  There's another variation for Asian tofu that I think we'll try next. Maybe with some stir-fried veggies and rice...mmmm...


Italian Marinated Tofu recipe

No comments: