Wednesday, April 14, 2010

chili + cornbread + chocolate cake

Tonight, out of the three choices available, the kids picked Quick Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili for dinner. This is not because of their great affinity for chili, but because of their unquenchable love of cornbread crumbled in a glass of milk for breakfast the next morning. They are bread fiends and I love that I can easily get them to eat their helpings of anything when another slice/piece of bread is offered upon completion. Back to the chili:

This recipe came from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook and it was tasty. The sweet potato was supposed to be in chunks but the kids asked that I puree it before adding it. I did and it added this thickness and depth to the flavor that was quite delightful. "Puree" has been penciled in on the recipe now.

We have a cake auction coming up in a couple weeks and my daughter wants to make her contribution to it so very badly. I've told her that we can not make the cake two weeks early for obvious reasons so she asked if she could just make a quick cake for dinner. I agreed and so she whipped up the Easy Chocolate Cake from American's Test Kitchen's Family cookbook.

It's so fun when the kids are in the kitchen with me. I made the chili, my son made the cornbread and my daughter made the cake. *heavy sigh* I love it.

No comments: