Wednesday, April 28, 2010

pad thai

I've broken Isa's trust. I mean, how evil am I, when I take a vegan cookbook, no less, and add chicken to one of the recipes? The cookbook is Vegan with a Vengeance. I'm wondering if she has spies and if I should be worried. The title itself is a bit intimidating.

It's not my fault, though. Really. I had all intentions of using tofu, just like she says, but then I remembered that I made tofu scrambles for breakfast one morning and there went my last pound. All I had left for my Brooklyn Pad Thai was chicken. Sorry, Isa.

This recipe was good though. It calls for tamarind paste or lime juice. Amazingly enough, I had no limes but tamarind paste was sitting demurely in my fridge door. I had used it previously and it's one of those things, like miso, that never goes bad. A couple months ago I didn't even know it existed and now it's in my arsenal. The world is a strange, strange place.

Brooklyn Pad Thai, by her own confession, isn't authentic, but it is super quick and tasty. And did I mention it's super easy? Once you get everything chopped up and ready to go (which doesn't take that long I assure you) it's all "boil the noodles" and "stirfry for 30 seconds this and 30 seconds that".

Yummy yummerson. I mean, I won't lie, real pad thai beats this hands down, but if you're hankerin' for the flavor and you just can't get to the restaurant...yummy mcyumyum.

Brooklyn Pad Thai recipe

No comments: