Thursday, April 29, 2010

potato soup + bread

I forgot to soak the beans and I'm out of wheat gluten. Those two ingredients are muy importante for two meals that I couldn't make tonight. I had to go off menu. And since I just finished reading Julie & Julia (which I don't recommend), and I'm currently reading Julia Child's biography Appetite for Life and listening to Julia Child's My Life in France autobiography book on tape, I thought it might be fitting to cook something from Julia's Kitchen Wisdom that I checked out from the library. (Can you tell that I tend to get passionate and go overboard at times?)


Dinner: Variation on the first recipe in the book, Leek and Potato Soup. I didn't have leeks so I made it with onion. I also added 1/4 c heavy cream to the pureed soup. The cream turned it from something okay into a soup of richness and flavor. It was so delicious. So much so that I completely forgot I'm only eating one helping nowadays and I had seconds.

I made a batch of focaccia from my pizza dough, sprinkled it with kosher salt and brushed on olive oil. So good. So, so good.

Leek and Potato Soup recipe

No comments: