Saturday, April 17, 2010

sardines? really?!

When we were staying with my husband in Oklahoma City a few months ago (to be honest, I can't remember when it was, but it was definitely within the last 12 months) our whole family would go to sleep in the hotel room to the 8pm to 11pm Food Network evening shows. One of our favorites was/is Alton Brown's Good Eats.

From that show we discovered Sherried Sardine Toast. It intrigued us enough that my hubsters encouraged me to make it. (This is a HUGE deal for him. He hates fish. Hates it. Well, all except halibut, but who doesn't love halibut? I haven't found anyone who doesn't.)

The result? I made it and it was surprisingly tasty. The recipe makes four huge open-faced vehicles of deliciousness. The marriage of crispy toast, creamy avocado and the pungent marinated sardines is really something else. That and it is very filling. (Extra taste points because I baked homemade bread.)

My only tweak to this recipe is that I sprinkled kosher salt on the smashed avocado and again on the sardine mixture. The recipe says to garnish with lemon wedges. You must obey and squeeze the lemon on it. It makes a world of difference. It brings this scrumptious dish to a higher plane of delectability. Also, Alton stresses that you buy the BRISLING sardines that are packaged in two layers. They are supposed to be superb. I'm not a sardine connoisseur but I trust Alton.

PS - My kids...not so much on the loving of this. They had cereal I think. Well, all except my 1-year old. That girl loved the sardines.

1 comment:

Chester Allen said...

Great idea ! keep up the good work :)