Monday, April 5, 2010

hummus and pita, how i love you

We had hummus with pita for dinner, add grape tomatoes, feta, carrot sticks, olives and leftover salad.

This was by far my most successful pita-making session to date. I had well over 75% puffed pitas. Only a few stayed flat or only partway puffed. Very rewarding for me. And what did I use for my pita? My pizza dough! I freakin' love that bread recipe.

The keys to pita bread that puffs like a bread balloon are as follows: hot oven, well-shaped balls of dough, carefully rolled rounds that are thin with absolutely no wrinkles or folds. My goal is perfection. I'm getting closer but it will probably be one of those philosophical, not physically-possible quests the Japanese are always striving after.

I was so excited by my high puff percentage that I completely forgot to take pictures. If you want to see a close representation, check out this meal or this one.

No comments: