Sunday, April 25, 2010

nachos

Nachos. Not very imaginative but I learned something this go round. Don't use thin chips. Our favorite tortilla chips are Tia Rosa Megathins. Delicious with guacamole and salsa. They are crisp and light and, well, maybe a little too crisp and light for nachos. They got soggy rather quickly and the toppings were too much for these light weights.

I made this nacho cheese sauce to use up the two slices of american cheese that have been haunting my cheese drawer for months now. (Yes, I mean months. It doesn't matter. That stuff doesn't even have to be refrigerated. I'm still not convinced it's food, but it does add a mean smoothness to nacho cheese.) I doubled the recipe and needed 14 slices. Since twelve slices were absent, cheddar filled the gap. I also added a can of diced green chilis. Upon reflection, I'm not sure what I did according to the recipe besides get the amounts for the white sauce...

In case you want to know, the topppings tonight were:
  • tofu crumbles with chili pepper, cumin and oregano
  • kidney beans
  • olives
  • taco sauce
  • sour cream
  • nacho cheese sauce
Decent but not fantabulous and definitely lacking in green.

No comments: